With the build pretty much complete its time to start painting! The only bits i have left to assemble are the head (which needs painting first) and the armour panels. These of course will also need to be painted before gluing in place.
This thing is a monster to paint, so i divided to divide it into sections; legs, torso, weapons and head. Each section will be completed in its entirety before moving onto the next. I'll be starting from the bottom and working my way up, so first up its the legs.
The legs were first undercoated in Army Painters Plate Metal.
I then sprayed the legs with Vallejo's Gunmetal to darken down the colour.
I then sprayed the apex's and prominent areas with vallejos Silver. This was to create some shadow and highlight on the legs, as i thought this was far to large an area to wash down with Nuln Oil.
I moved onto some of the details next. The piston housings were painted bronze, and the trim was picked out in gold.
As you can see, there was quite a bit of gold trim on the toes! As they were metallics, 2 coats were needed before the washes to get good coverage!
Finally i washed the bronze and gold in Seraphim Sepia. I didn't add highlights to these pieces afterwards, as i wanted them to look dark and oily.
After washing the pistons i added some more silver to brighten up the areas where the pistons had been most active. This brightness helped to break up the darker shades.
Next up is the armour panels!