I've got the last of the large flying buttresses on and undercoated:
I've blocked out the colours:
And I've washed the whole thing with an oil-paint-wash! This stage really helped re-define the 'crazy paving' on the base as well.
I decided not to dry brush the whole thing and instead relied on a heavy wash to pick out the detail. Besides, if the wash doesn't quite cut it, then i can always add a dry brush layer. At the moment i think the wash will do, but i guess we'll see once its dried properly.
I've been thinking about the interior a lot as well. I'm going to scrap the balconies, and theres two reasons for this. Firstly, playability. Secondly, space. There wont be any room for the intended spiral staircases, and in think ladders would look a bit shoddy! I think that the lack of balconies will make the interior space much easier to play on as well. Again, these can always be added later if theres a dire need for them after play testing.
So between bouts of thinking, i cracked on with the pews. These were easy enough to make. I made them out of Balsa Wood rather than plasticard. This will save me having to make the pews look 'woody'! I made as many as i could out of the strip of wood i bought, and got 18 out of it.
I don't want the whole Cathedral filled with pews, but a scattering of them! Some will also be made into barricades and some will be smashed up! Presumably during the course of the war, they were scavenged, stolen or vaporised!
Here's the pieces i used:
A scale shot with a Krieg Commissar:
And in the actual Cathedral:
I used an airbrush to spray them with Bestial Brown. These will be shaded later with an oil-paint-wash, probably after they're glued in place.
(Dammit, the pictures doing some sort of side-ways thing...!)
So that's where I'm at now! Theres an Alter to build, some ruins and rubble to add to the interior, and a few statues to buy and paint for the 'front porch'! Then the final (and maybe the most difficult bit) - the ruined roof!