Wednesday 3 August 2011

Apocalypse Terrain: Gothic Cathedral Pt 7

Theres been some real progress on the Cathedral in the last week or so, and I'm not to far off completion!

I've got the last of the large flying buttresses on and undercoated:


I've blocked out the colours:



And I've washed the whole thing with an oil-paint-wash! This stage really helped re-define the 'crazy paving' on the base as well.



I decided not to dry brush the whole thing and instead relied on a heavy wash to pick out the detail. Besides, if the wash doesn't quite cut it, then i can always add a dry brush layer. At the moment i think the wash will do, but i guess we'll see once its dried properly.

I've been thinking about the interior a lot as well. I'm going to scrap the balconies, and theres two reasons for this. Firstly, playability. Secondly, space. There wont be any room for the intended spiral staircases, and in think ladders would look a bit shoddy! I think that the lack of balconies will make the interior space much easier to play on as well. Again, these can always be added later if theres a dire need for them after play testing.

So between bouts of thinking, i cracked on with the pews. These were easy enough to make. I made them out of Balsa Wood rather than plasticard. This will save me having to make the pews look 'woody'! I made as many as i could out of the strip of wood i bought, and got 18 out of it.


I don't want the whole Cathedral filled with pews, but a scattering of them! Some will also be made into barricades and some will be smashed up! Presumably during the course of the war, they were scavenged, stolen or vaporised!

Here's the pieces i used:


A scale shot with a Krieg Commissar:


And in the actual Cathedral:



I used an airbrush to spray them with Bestial Brown. These will be shaded later with an oil-paint-wash, probably after they're glued in place.

(Dammit, the pictures doing some sort of side-ways thing...!)

So that's where I'm at now! Theres an Alter to build, some ruins and rubble to add to the interior, and a few statues to buy and paint for the 'front porch'! Then the final (and maybe the most difficult bit) - the ruined roof!

The GunGrave

10 comments:

  1. looks fantastic, and i love those pews!!

    blogger does that sideways thing for me sometimes as well. the only way to solve it is to save the image as something completely new (create a new file) and re-upload it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressed, I first clapped eyes on this when you first started out, I guess five weeks out the country things have changed alot. Love the pews and can't wait to see the end product.

    Well done mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS This looks better and better every time I come back here.

    I love the entrance and the buttresses. The wooden pews was a great cost effective idea.

    For the altar, you could always modify this piece:
    http://armorcast.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=121_23&products_id=166

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fan-freakin-tastic man! I applaud your courage on taking on a terrain project of this magnitude, and I gotta say it's looking spectacular. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking sharp! The wash brought out the detail nicely, and the pews look to be scaled perfectly. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Applause .... excellent work !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with everyone here. I've been watching this come to gether, post by post, and it is looking AMAZING. I little trick I recently learned for oil washing is to put in some weathering powder as well, whatever color goes along with the effect you're trying to get. You get an amazingly natural looking effect with where it runs and drys. I'd say maybe a dust or soot color if you're bold enough, but I don't think you even need to on this in all honesty. Great project, and I may have to steal the idea with the pews one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those pews look amazing and they seem pretty simple to make. Keep up the hardwork on this amazing project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work there! keep it up! There's not much more for me to say! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is looking fantastic! Balsa wood beats buying them from armorcast (still awaiting that email :P)

    ReplyDelete